the weight of guilt...

A friend of mine was sharing his feelings on spanking his children. He feels that spanking is not the answer. He shared a story of correction. His daughter did something out of line and created a situation where he could not enjoy an opportunity out and about. That evening, upon returning home, he gave her a dose of "you acted out, and daddy could not enjoy himself." He went on to say that the next morning his daughter awoke and came to apologize for her actions.

My heart felt heavy with compassion. I don't feel that children are in a position to properly understand adult logic or adult issues and also will not properly move beyond such guilt. I feel that the weight of these situations will eventually take a toll on them emotionally.

I returned to a book I previously read by Michael and Debi Pearl. In their book, they said, "Emotionally unstable parents sometimes use guilt to manipulate their children. Parents who try to shame or humiliate their children into right behavior may see the child temporarily acquiesce. But, obedience performed out of the desperation of guilt only deepens guilt, putting the child further out of touch with true repentance and healing."

"Don't overwork your child's emotions with excessive indulgence in: 'Why did you do that? You hurt Mother. You make me feel so badly. What you did is wrong, and God wants us to love our neighbor, etc.' Children, especially young children, are not equipped to deal with deep issues about motive and duty. The degree to which they are morally awakened should be addressed; but to expose them to the adult burden of motive and responsibility can cause them to carry too much of a load."

"Christians find release from their guilt through the Savior who suffered the curse of their sins, but their children cannot yet understand that the Creator has been lashed and nailed in their place. Yet, parents need not wait until their children are old enough to understand the vicarious death of Christ to purge their children of guilt. God has provided parents with a tool to cleanse their children of guilt--the rod of correction."

Hebrews 12:6-8 says, "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons." Hebrews 12:10 says He disciplines us "for our own profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness."

3 comments:

maltovermilton said...

Man! That's what's wrong with me. I am weighed down with the guilt of messing up my parents' lives! yet another thing I can blame on my mother... she won't be happy that you gave me this idea.

No, seriously, I've never heard that perspective about "purging your children's guilt" before. I don't know how much we are able to purge guilt from anyone, but I kinda understand the concept. I do appreciate the awareness of the child's low level of understanding. Sometimes I forget why it is that one shouldn't talk to a child the same way that they talk to an adult. The children will only get confused and possibly hurt when they are forced to deal with advanced emotional issues.

I do think it is important to show disappointment to the child, however, when they have done something wrong. Do you see anything wrong with a parent expressing his or her disappointment to a child? Do you think that is only acceptable at a certain age?

Chris said...

Yes, I think expressing disappointment is a necessary part of correction. I think the idea here is not to belabor the point. Once discipline is given, though, it is important to ensure that "all is forgiven" and you cannot continue in disappointment or punishment.

Anonymous said...

Chris - Here is my 2 cents. Dads have a unique contribution for their children. ""See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse." Malachi 4
I found over the years that when my focus was what it should be - that my children were better behaved. If I allowed anything to distract my devotion - usually the result would be frazzled family relations. Correction is sometimes necessary - but is usually inappropriate when the parents are neglectful. Children are very love needy.
Uncle Mike