i'm a big chicken!

How do you tell someone that you don't think what they're doing is right? Not just anyone, but someone you have come to know, someone you want so dearly to succeed in the abundant life that Christ has promised. What is it in us that makes us chicken? Why do we shy away from uttering the words that need to be said? "Is it my place?" "Will I drive them away?" "What if..." Are these really just excuses we make up in our minds?

I watch as this person lives life and drifts along without the desire for Christ that should match the proclamation and position they hold concerning God. Why is that? It seems there is always crisis, always occasion for distraction, and always something going on that doesn't evidence Christ or the pursuit of Christ.

I find myself chicken... afraid to say what my heart desires to say. I find myself on my knees praying for that yearning, that desire for Him for this person. My heart is heavy with the burden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

. . . Whoa! This is a touchy subject. I like the story where Jesus confronts the adulterer's accusers in John 8. Notice that they went away , "the older ones first". I think younger people are more judgemental by nature (due to a lack of failure experience). I remember confronting some people when I was younger - not in the correct spirit. "We should" be concerned about our spiritual family members, but need to be sure to have the right spirit (humble and prayerful) when we need to correct - so that we might be effective.

Chris said...

First, let me say, I absolutely agree. I think you are wise in this advice (right spirit).

Here's where I'm struggling... Do you think we, spiritual family members, shy away too much from saying what may need to be said? It would appear to me that many believers see problems long before they become real issues. We just reserve ourselves, though, and don't say anything. I can't imagine my brother or sister not saying to me, "Hey, this doesn't seem right to me." I think the conversation wouldn't end there, but instead lead to a "why" or "here were my intentions, but I hadn't realized how my actions may appear". Perhaps the action being done would be helpful with regards to the advice being given. Do you think we should be more ready to talk to our brothers or sisters in Christ when the action is small, or only beginning to lead down a path that leads to other [bigger] issues?

Anonymous said...

Proverbs 9:8
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you.

Matthew 18:15-17
"If your brother sins against you,[b] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'[c] If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.