Gun Training Your Kids..

What? Did I title this post Gun Training Your Kids? hehe.. Here's a funny story that forces the issue, IMO.

So, Judy has taken a strong position of "non-exposure" for our kids and guns. Most of you know I enjoy guns, but I've kept them locked up and hidden (my kids have never seen any of my guns).

Naturally, Micah has taken to making anything a gun. I get the impression that nearly all boys just know guns and what they do from birth. He prides himself on the sticks from the yard that especially have a "gun-like look" to them. He plays for hours "shooting" these guns.

The other day Judy and I sat in the driveway while Micah played with his gun. He brought it over to Judy and offered her the opportunity to shoot the gun. She politely declined, but Micah urged her to join in. She took the stick...err..I mean gun and pointed it out straight. Micah, timely as can be, gave a loud "BANG!" then immediately said "You killed him, Mom!"

The look on Judy's face was priceless! She didn't know what to say. LOL I think I have come to the conclusion that if WE don't teach our kids about guns and safety, that they won't know (about guns and safety). We already know they are aware of guns and what they can do.

I'm not proposing to sit Micah (3 years old) down and give him a "gun lesson". I just don't think non-exposure is the answer. Seems that you run the risk of your kids making up their own reality.

No comments: